Ali’s guide to Christmas entertaining
For those of us who love to entertain, Christmas can be a busy time of year. From lunch on Christmas day to festive cocktail parties, preparation is key and will help you navigate the silly season with ease. My Christmas entertaining tips will keep you sane and organised this year!
- ‘Tis the season to plan. Get organised ahead of Christmas to avoid unnecessary stress. Consider how many guests you’ll be hosting on Christmas Day or for other festivities and your food and drinks menu – and don’t forget to double-check dietaries. Write a list of everything you need and start your food shopping early for non-perishable items (before they run out!). Make a checklist of presents you’ll need to purchase, and it’s also worth thinking about any games or entertainment to keep kids busy – Jenga and Uno make for great post-lunch activities!
- Choose a theme for your table setting. From simple red and white settings to luxe gold touches, having a theme for your tablescape will add stylish flair. A homemade eucalyptus table runner will add a beautiful Australian touch and can easily be sourced from your backyard.
- Batch-make cocktails. What better way to welcome your guests than a homemade cocktail? Keep it simple by batch-making your favourite drink and have it ready to serve in a beautiful carafe.
- DIY dessert. We all love a pavlova for Christmas, and a DIY pavlova grazing board is a great option. Let your guests create their own dessert with mini pavs and a range of toppings, from traditional summer fruits and fresh whipped cream to more decadent options like Nutella or chopped up chocolate bars for the kids.
- Always have extra. Whether it’s the unexpected drop-in from your neighbours or your daughter’s new boyfriend coming for lunch, it’s always wise to plan on having some extras lying around. Think foldable chairs, a couple of bottles of sparkling wine in the back fridge, or a few little gifts like candles or a lovely box of chocolates. That way, you’ll avoid any potential awkward gift-giving scenarios!
- Christmas is all about fun and merriment, and hopefully these tips and tricks will have you enjoying more quality time with friends and family. Merry Christmas!