Do you love saffron and looking for more recipes to use it?
This recipe has been contributed by Argyle Australian Saffron.
50 g unsalted butter, softened & cut into pieces,
120 g castor sugar
4 eggs (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla extract
120 g self-raising flour
Pinch of Argyle Australian Saffron (6-8 strands)
160 g full cream milk
1 tsp rosewater
30 g softened butter
500 g icing sugar
2 cups Desiccated coconut or shredded coconut, for coating
- Gently warm milk for icing & add saffron to steep for at least 60 mins.
- Preheat oven to 190°C & grease and line a square cake tin (20 cm) & set aside.
- Place sugar & eggs into a stand mixer & beat for 5-7 minutes. Then add unsalted butter & vanilla & mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl & add self-raising flour. Mix for a further 30 seconds.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes (190°C) until golden & springs back on touch. Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack. Once cooled, place into freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer & cut into even squares; approx 5cms.
- Into a large bowl, add icing sugar, butter, saffron milk & rosewater & combine well. Into another large bowl place your coconut and then one by one, dunk the cake squares into the icing mix, then gently coat with the coconut.
- Once coated, refrigerate for one hour to set.