Here’s our suggestion list of what’s on and adventures to participate in during the coldest period in the Central West; Orange, Bathurst, Oberon, Bathurst, Cowra, Forbes and Parkes. We hope this inspires you, but in no way is this an extensive list.
1. Explore Mayfield Gardens in Oberon during the Winter festival (July 2 – 17) where the full private gardens will be open to the public. There is a delicious paddock to plate cafe there too. Book tickets here.
2. It’s super movie watching weather – keep your eye out for films being released like ‘The Bob’s Burgers Movie’ (PG), ‘Pil’s Adventures’, ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ (M), ‘Jurassic World: Dominion’ (M), ‘Lightyear’ (CTC), ‘Minions: The Rise Of Gru’ (CTC), ‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ (CTC), ‘My Sweet Monster’ (PG) running at your local cinemas; Orange, Bathurst, Cowra, Mudgee.
3. The Bathurst Winter Festival kicks off on Saturday 2nd July with key festival events that include:
4. Tennis camps: Most local centres have tennis camps running; here are a few to mention;
Cowra Tennis Club: Camps will be running from 11-13th July from 9-11am. $35 per day. Bring morning tea, drinks. Tennis rackets available to borrow or to buy. Keep an eye out for updates on a day or two running in first week by phoning Helen Garratt on mob: 0407 139 164 or enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or refer here.
Orange Indoor Tennis has camps running on both weeks; Wed 6th, Thurs 7th and Fri 8th July and Wed 13th, Thurs 14th and Fri 15th July. Time is 9-12pm each day. You can book your kids in for the day at a fee of $35 or $85 for the three days. Each child receives a $5 reduction in fees. For more details see the Facebook page here. To book, phone: 6362 9811
Forbes Tennis Club is outdoors on the cnr Church and Bandon Streets will be running tennis camp from:
Monday 4th July – Friday 8th July from 9-1pm and each day is a flat fee of $20 / per child (For a third child $5 discount per day). To book speak with Peter on mob: 0403 335 205
Bathurst Tennis Club is running a camp outdoors on Mon 4th July, Tues 5th July and Wed 6th July from 9-12pm. $140 for 3-days or $50 per day. (for three or more kids, 10% discount applies). Pack morning tea and drinks. To book speak with Fran Mitton on mob: 0431 354 480 or for more details see here.
For the older kids, a group of 6 friends might set you back around $35/per person to enjoy an hour’s adventure in an escape room. Missing Klues Escape rooms have three options with varying levels of difficulty. Check out here.
5. Pinot & Picasso is a lovely way to activate creativity and right brain play. There are some family friendly classes taking place over the School Holidays:-
6. Ninja camps are running at High Impact Martial Arts and Health Studio and they are all about fun for Kindergarten to Year six. Each day is a fun mixture of martial arts, sword and staff training and fun games and activities. These are running both weeks on:
Wednesday 6th July
Thursday 7th July
For more details on times and to book, see here.
7. The Ninja Park Forbes is a fun outing wherever you might be located across the Central West. Here’s an account from one of our Central West Mums with younger kids, read on here.
8. Gowrie NSW offers diverse and varied activities by qualified fun educators in their vacation care program across locations:-
Bathurst – Enquire here.
Kelso – Enquire here.
9. What’s on during the School Holidays at Orange City Library; all events need to be booked except the Library Scurry – available during Library opening hours. Orange City Library is open 7 days. For more on events across Central West libraries see link here or call us on ph: 6393 8132.
Galloping gargoyles!! 2022 is the silver anniversary of J.K. Rowling’s magical classic Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone!!!! That’s 25 years!!!
“He’ll be famous – a legend – I wouldn’t be surprised if today was known as Harry Potter Day in future – there will be books written about Harry – every child in our world will know his name!” From Chapter One: The Boy Who Lived – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
And here we are 25 years later celebrating the world famous wizard Harry Potter at Orange City Library in magical style with our own Harry Potter Fest coming soon including:
Harry Potter and the Library Scurry
Can you find one or all 12 hidden Potter pictures in the Library? Collect an entry form, scurry around the library to cross off one or all the images as you find them, add your name and borrower number and pop your entry in the barrel. We have some great prizes to be won.
School of Magic Escape Room
Team bookings essential
Visit Orange City Library for your first clue
Escape Room located at Croagh Patrick, 10 Park Street, Orange
Wednesday 6 July, Thursday 7 July and Friday 8 July.
Select sessions available for children or adult teams.
Tech Toys at the Ministry of Magic
Monday 11 July from 2pm – 4pm at Orange City Library
Join us at Orange City Library as we break out our tech skills and have a try of some fantastic technology.
We will be using Spheros, completing Minecraft challenges, Harry Potter Wii game and more.
Hogwarts Lego Club
Wednesday 13 July from 10am – 11.30am at Orange City Library
Create the magic of Hogwarts at the library – Come and build our Harry Potter Lego kits or your unique Harry Potter themed creation.
Winter Holidays Wrap Party – Celebrating Harry Potter’s 25th Anniversary – for children
Thursday 14 July from 2pm-4pm at Orange City Library
*Dress up as favourite wizard or witch
*Watch movie extracts re: wizarding
*Harry Potter Quiz
10. To keep kids occupied with constructive activities when the Winter holidays are dreary, CodeCamp has lots of workshops which can be attended both online or directly at venues locally. Check out all their courses available to book here.
11. YogArt (Yoga and Art) is a workshop of healthy fun exploring yoga and art for children and young adults. There are many bennefits of Yoga including strength, co-ordination and stamina as well as learning to be quiet and still. Yoga builds resilience, confidence, focus and a feeling of being energised and grounded. These fun workshops usually run for kids aged 3-6yrs and 7-12yrs at The Yoga Room, Orange. For more details, contact Tricia on: email@example.com or 0421 363 298
12. Kid’s can have fun and so can the parents! Stockman’s Ridge is a vineyard that is open every day of the school holidays and they will have a giant jumping castle with slide available for use for free for kids while the parents are wine tasting every day. They’ll also have a live musician playing each Saturday from 1pm-5pm (musician details tbc closer to the dates).
15. The Totem Collective are running some FREE learn to skate workshops currently across the Central West and into the School Holidays. Centacare Bathurst are funding these workshops. For the Molong event on Wednesday 6 July from 10-12:30pm you can book in here.
16. The Ultimate playground has some child-led sensory play programs like holiday fossicking and nature crafts for kids aged 3-10 years listed here.
17. The Little Art Nook in Orange City Centre are running some creative workshops including a Dream catcher, Monet, jewellery workshops and more. To book phone Nicky on mob: 0493 418 521
19. Road Trips…there are plenty of fun cultural road trips like visiting the Parkes Dish and mural art in Eugowra (For more attractions of things to see and do across the Central West, more inspiration can be found here.
For more on School Holiday events popping up, you can reference our calendar of some activities here.